Monday, June 11, 2012

Need some advice...

Okay, so for those of you who have been reading my last couple of posts, let me explain what the end product is going to look like. Once you guys get the context, I would really appreciate some advice on picking a character. I'm not done exploring different characters, but I need to come to a decision regarding the overall concept for the character.

November is National Novel Writing Month, and they do a whole thing with a website devoted to tracking people's progress in writing their novels. It is basically a good way to just get some words on paper, which can often be difficult for people who constantly worry about grammar and composition (like me). I've attempted this before without a concept planned out and failed miserably when I ran out of ideas. This year, I'm going to attempt the challenge again, but with the concept completely planned out. So in short (tldr), 'm going to write 50,000 words in the 30 days of November.

As most of you have noticed from my blog, I'm more of a short prosaic writer than anything else. Therefore, I came up with a concept to write a series of short stories called "100 things," based off of the concept of a bucket list. Since I was in high school I've been writing lists like this (places I want to visit, adventures I want to have, etc). Each story will be about 500 words, highlighting one of the 100 things. You get the point.

Simultaneously, I decided I wanted to write a book that highlighted someone with a disability. Since I've been working with the population, I've been struck by the normalcy that is denied to those with all types of disabilities (people go to court over whether their children with disabilities should be able to marry, have kids, get a drivers license, vote, etc). Even more unfortunate is that the kids I've worked with really want those things even if they have to work twenty times harder to get them. So I concluded a few things: (1) I wanted the narrator to have a disability, (2) I wanted to focus on the high school/college age range, and (3) I wanted them to have basic wants of every kid in their age range, but theirs be denied. This last part ranges from "having a group of friends" to "going to the movies by myself."

There are so many things left to decide, and I'd appreciate some input from those of you with good critiquing skills (and those of you with strong opinions too). Which character from the last two weeks, Jack or Brittany, did you like more? What made you decide either way? Was it their genders? Disability type? Dynamism? Voice?

I figure I write female perspective better than male, but I'm not sure.
I need to decide if I want my character to have a cognitive disability or a physical disability or both.
Either way, I want the narrator to be the kid, but should I have a ghost (most likely parent) writer, and how much bias should I show in their direction? (Should they simply correct sentence structure and grammar, or should they be an invested character in the story?)

I would really appreciate any insight you all can provide, as this is a pretty big undertaking for me.
Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment